My Favorite Workout DVDs
Lately I have not wanted to hit the gym after work like I normally do. It’s dark, cold, traffic sucks and I’d rather not leave my house if I can help it so I’ve invested in a lot of workout dvds recently. It’s great because I don’t have to go anywhere and can get a tough workout right in my living room. They’re also great for getting in a quick morning workout and helping energize you for your day. I wanted to share some of my favorites that are helping keep me in shape this winter.
I can always count on my girl Jillian to have a good workout in store for me. I’ve never looked forward to fitness new releases before, but you better believe I had 6 Week Six Pack pre-ordered on Amazon and checked my mailbox in excitement everyday until I received it. The reason I love her workouts so much is because they aren’t cheesy, boring, she’s encouraging and you get a really effective workout in less than an hour and you can’t beat that.
1. No More Trouble Zones – This is the one I go to when I want some serious strength work and want something a little longer than half an hour. It’s 45 minutes long and contains seven circuits that work different “trouble zones”. I like how you can play all seven at once or just pick and choose circuits to create your own custom, shorter work out. I use a lighter, three pound weight since you’re using them for pretty much the entire dvd. The only thing I don’t like about this one is that it feels long.
2. 6 Week Six Pack – Ohhh, my goodness. This is some intense cardio and ab work here. I love that it’s an ab workout but you do hardly any crunches and you also work other areas in addition to your core. You do a circuit of various moves for around fifteen minutes and then complete the circuit one more time but it never gets boring because you’re doing a lot of different exercises. I burn the most calories with this dvd compared to her other ones.
3. Shred-It with Weights – Whenever I’m really unmotivated and don’t feel like working out this is the dvd I go to. There’s something about this one.. it goes by so quick and is awesome. There are modified moves that use a dumbbell but it is not the same.. use a kettlebell to get a much better workout in. The warm up incorporates the kettle bell and gets your heart rate up very quickly. This has a lot of squats and swings which I love, but it also has turkish get ups which is a big ol’ haaale no in my book. Those things just suck!
4. Yoga Meltdown – Great stretches and strength training using your own body weight. You do an exercise for a few reps and then hold the move for fifteen seconds which really gets your heart rate up. This is where I first learned camel pose which feels amazing and really helps stretch out my back. You also get a really nice arm and back workout with this one, but also some stretching and core work.
5. Body Rev: Cardio Conditioning – I don’t even know what exactly to say about this one. It starts off all good but goes to insane in no time. I was dripping with so much sweat that my hands were sliding off the mat and I was making noises that even freaked me out. I thought that I was going to throw up at one point after doing a round of scorpion push ups.
This dvd is an hour long and it has a countdown timer which I’m not sure I like or not. I like it when I have five minutes left, but when I’m standing there dry heaving and it says I have 43 minutes left.. yeah, not so much. Even though this workout was long and challenging, after it was done I felt so proud for finishing and giving it my best and I felt strong. It was really an amazing feeling and I hope to do this every week until eventually it doesn’t seem so hard anymore. This is definitely my new favorite dvd. Did I mention I burned 600 calories during this? Yeah, I love it.
6. Jackie Warner’s Xtreme Timesaving Personal Training – This is a 30 minute strength training workout that will have you feelin’ pretty sore the next day. You do different strength moves for a minute each and I recommend lighter weights since you’re have to keep them moving the entire time. This is a quick, effective and straight to the point workout that incorporates a ton of shoulder work which I love.
7. AM & PM Yoga For Beginners – I don’t know much about yoga but I was looking for something that would really stretch my muscles after a hard workout and help me relax before going to bed. An added bonus is that this one has a more energizing morning routine which really helps you start your day off right. I love how you hold the stretches for quite awhile and you work on matching your breathing to your movement as well.
Uncategorized | Tags: DVD, Review, Working Out | 4 comments
What are your favorite workout dvds? What’s the hardest workout you’ve gotten out of one? I’d love to add some new dvds to my collection!