Weekend Happenings

Right after work on Friday I met up with Greg and some of his work buddies at The Tomato Head for dinner. I had the veggie chef salad which had cucumber, tomato, broccoli, artichoke hearts, green pepper, sprouts, baked tofu, mushrooms, red onion, olives, carrots and red cabbage with honey mustard dressing. It felt so good to eat all those veggies!

Saturday started with me waking up at 5am to volunteer at a 10k for Knoxville Track Club. At first I was handing out t-shirts but then got to hand bibs out since the person who was originally doing that was running the race and had to head out to go warm up. It was a lot of fun and I met some super nice people.

When I got home I was really hungry and decided to open the jar of honey strawberry spread that Krissie from Philly Nerd Girl sent me as part of our local goods exchange. Ohhhh, man.. this stuff is good! I had it on a piece of toasted Ezekiel bread and it was delicious.

After that was a pretty hard spin class with Priyanka. The instructor was awesome and she wore me out! I was so beat from waking up early and all the hills and climbing in spin that a nap was definitely in order. I bummed around the house for the rest of the night and relaxed which was nice.

On Sunday we went for a walk early to avoid the crazy heat and then got ready and met Greg’s sister at a local Ethiopian restaurant for lunch. I’d never had it before but man it was good! We all got the vegetarian samplers and were stuffed in no time. I’m pretty sure it was partly because you don’t use utensils, but grab the food with pieces of injera bread.

After lunch, me and Greg’s sister decided to have a cooking party. We are going to start getting together on Sundays and cooking huge batches of food to eat throughout the week for lunch. We headed to Earth Fare and did some shopping for all the good stuff we were going to make.

I made African kale & yam soup from Leftovers For Lunch and she made this amazing butternut squash and chickpea dish that had couscous, almonds, cilantro and tzatziki.

Seriously.. how good does this look?! Also, do you notice the two lil’ bunnies in the above photo? They love to hang out in our backyard and munch on grass and veggie scraps.

Now that I am set on some healthy lunches for the week I am one happy lady. It takes so much stress off knowing that your meals are ready to go.

I hope that you all had an awesome weekend! Did you do anything fun or just hang out and relax some? It’s been hard to do too much here because of the heat. Hopefully it’s not too crazy hot where you’re at!

26 Responses to Weekend Happenings

1. I’ve never had Ethiopian food. I bet I’d like it though (then again… I like everything!)

• Anastasia says:

It was really good. There were a lot of lentils, split peas, cabbage and potatoes with curry. The bread is so different too and I love how it only has a couple of ingredients.

2. What fabulous dishes… Love the African kale and yam soup idea!!

3. I love Ethiopian food!!! I think I mostly just like that I get to use bread instead of silverware ;) haha

Way to wake up at the crack of dawn to volunteer! That’s impressive :) Hope you had a good weekend!

4. All that food looks really good! I’m glad the strawberry honey spread is good! I honestly haven’t tried it yet, lol. I’ll have to pick some up for myself at the market this week! :D

5. Oh my goodness…so much good food I can’t handle it. That salad you got at the restaurant looks amazing, and so does the Ethiopian food you made! And I love the bunnies…so cute!

6. Kim says:

I love your blog. I came across it while searching for vegan recipes (it’s something I was wanting to try after my wedding but have no clue on where to start) and I came across all your pictures of food. They all look so good!

I don’t know if you’re a vegan or not, but your food looks delicious and so healthy! I’ve bookmarked you as one of my favorites. Congrats on your 5k a while back, my first one will be in October!

• Anastasia says:

Thank you so much! You’re very sweet :]

I’m not vegan but I make a lot of vegan food and baked goods! You’ll do awesome at your 5k. The first one is a little nerve-wracking but it’s so much fun running with so many people.

Good luck with your 5k and congrats on the upcoming wedding! I check out your blog and it sounds like it’s going to be amazing!

7. jenna k says:

ahhhh i’ve been wanting tomato head lately, and this didn’t help! :) i always get a sandwich and small salad, and it is so so tasty!

• Anastasia says:

Their food is super tasty! I usually get the Roger Roger sandwich. Have you tried that one? It’s so good. I was craving veggies when we went out though so I got that salad. Their bread is just so delicious.

• jenna k says:

i haven’t, but i looked up their menu, and it sounds so good- the banana peppers especially! i usually get the oh boy sandwich just for the poppy-seed dressing. SO good!
        by the way, it totally cracked me up now to look at the pictures from the 10k, knowing that you saw the cold beer sign so soon after! :)

• Anastasia says:

It was so funny that you tweeted about that sign so soon after I’d seen it because I am *never* out that way. I just remember the huge yellow sign catching my eye and when I read it I remember asking Greg if he thought it was true. Haha!

8. I am in LOVE with the salad from The Tomato Head. [And also the fact that a restaurant is named The Tomato Head.]

We have two supposedly phenomenal Ethiopian restaurants here in Austin, but I have yet to venture inside. I’m eager to go now after seeing your meal! :)

• Anastasia says:

Their food is incredible. I’m glad there’s a place like there here!

You should definitely eat at one sometime! The food is really good and the bread is spongey and a bit sour.. really great stuff!

9. Ethiopian! jealous, my friend and i were supposed to go last week, but we both had to cancel at last minute…maybe this week, you’ve inspired me :)

10. Nadine says:

Jeez Louise, all that food looks super delicious! My mouth is watering…

Also, I just read that you’ve won the Blowfish shoes on ‘Hello Vanny’ – congrats on that! So darn cool, not? :)

Boy, I really lost track a bit when it comes to eat healthy and work out regularly. I had exams to sit and I went lazy – and now I have to pay for it. But since yesterday I’m back on the track. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I’ll be able to keep it up.

Awww, and those bunnies are super cute. For sure!

Here’s to a happy week. XO.

• Anastasia says:

Oh my goodness.. I was *so* happy when I found out I’d won! I never win blog giveaways!

Good luck with your health & fitness goals. It’s hard when things get busy, but keep it up and it will definitely pay off!

11. Danielle says:

Do you have the curry recipe your sister made? It looks delicous!

Danielle

12. Anna says:

That last meal looks crazy delicious! And those bunnies are so cute! We have bunnies that hang around our yard too, but we have more DEER just hanging out and laying around in our backyard. They will just sit in our backyard and stare at us through the window while we make dinner. Love it!