Pumpkin Carving & Halloween Recipes

On Friday night my sister, her boyfriend, and my nephew came over to carve pumpkins and watch movies. I wanted to make a few Halloweeny recipes and I had quite a few bookmarked. I found a couple that I wanted to try so I made a shopping list and headed to the store. I knew for sure I wanted to make this Halloween candy corn cookie bark because it just looked so cute and festive.

I had a bit of a mishap as I didn’t buy enough white chocolate squares and tried to use carob chips which you can see in the bottom right of the first photo. I put the carob chips in the microwave to melt where they caught on fire and when I pulled them out the top was hard and burnt. I just removed the burnt part but then it wouldn’t spread and instead just turned into a hard lump that tasted charred. It’s best when I don’t improvise in the kitchen because stuff like that always happens. I ended up just throwing the burnt part away and the rest was really good.

After that exciting experience I needed a lil’ something so I made this Halloween sunset cocktail from my girl Martha. I couldn’t find tangerine juice anywhere so I just used orange juice and it turned out great.

Earlier in the day I had bought Pepper a little treat as well from Natural Pet Supply. If you live in Knoxville and are looking for neat items for your pup or cat you should definitely check them out—the people that work there are so sweet.

Another Martha recipe I made was this sinister black bean guacamole. It turned out fantastic and everyone loved it. It was so easy to make and tasted incredible so definitely make this one!

Once my family arrived I put on Ghostbusters II (it’s on Hulu if you wanna watch too) and we got to carving! I originally wanted to do another Hello Kitty pumpkin but I was having a hard time getting the entire thing to fit without being too small. I did a search for “cute Halloween stencil” and found this little spider that I loved and looked easy so I did it instead.

Greg ended up doing a classic looking pumpkin. It turned out great and our pumpkins look awesome together all lit up on the porch.

On Saturday morning we travelled to Nashville for the Zombie Buffet 5k where we were chased by zombies. I will make a separate post for it since I have so many photos, but let me tell ya.. I screamed quite a few times and and have never ran that fast in my life! haha.

This morning we woke up late and I slowly made my way into the kitchen (I was hurting a bit from the 5k haha), and made Halloween pancakes. I went with my usual pancake recipe, but this time I added a bit of green food coloring to the batter. I made black cinnamon syrup to go along with them. I didn’t have black food coloring on hand so I used purple and turned out fine.

I hope you had a great weekend full of Halloween fun!

24 Comments on Pumpkin Carving & Halloween Recipes

1. Priyanka
    October 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm (3 years ago)

Just saw your 5K pictures. Really some of them are so scary! I am excited to read the recap.

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 9:14 am (3 years ago)

There were a couple that really freaked me out! I was running all over the place trying to get away but I just couldn’t make it haha

2. Allison @ PickyEatingRD
    October 30, 2011 at 11:00 pm (3 years ago)

That Halloween bark looks pretty fantastic!!!! Anyway I can get some more candy corn in my life is def. a good thing!

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 9:15 am (3 years ago)

It turned out really well! It was super sweet, but tasty :]

3. Krissie J
    October 31, 2011 at 9:29 am (3 years ago)

I’ve had mishaps with trying to melt stuff in the microwave as well. I think I’m going to get a double boiler so I don’t have any more! Can’t wait to read your 5K recap! It looks like a really fun event! :)

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 4:36 pm (3 years ago)

I think I need to invest in a double boiler as well! haha It was a lot of fun! There was a guy there that had a flip cam attached to his hat and I’m hoping he uploads the video soon so I can link to it in the recap!

4. Red Rob
    October 31, 2011 at 9:31 am (3 years ago)

This is a really sweet post – you have so many ideas for Halloween baking off the cuff! It’s nice to see some savoury dishes coming in too with the black bean salsa. Did you use a specific type of cookware for your first bake, how big was the baking tray?

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 4:44 pm (3 years ago)

I have to give all the credit to Martha on this one. She posts some amazing recipes on her site! I just used this cheap ol’ cookie sheet that I’ve had forever. It gets the job done :]

5. Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers
    October 31, 2011 at 9:33 am (3 years ago)

So many good eats! I really want some of that bark. My fav Christmas treat is peppermint bark, so I’m sure I’d looooove Halloween bark too.

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 4:37 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve never tried peppermint bark, but I will definitely make it this year since this bark turned out so well.

6. Lindsay Beeson
    October 31, 2011 at 9:41 am (3 years ago)

That bark is ridiculous! Looks so fun to chomp. How nice to have a little kid in your life to share Halloween with — I cannot *wait* to move to a neighborhood full of little kids during Halloweentime; they make it more fun :)

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 4:39 pm (3 years ago)

It really is ridiculous and super sweet. I’ve been so excited for Halloween because we get *so* many trick-or-treaters.. I just love it!

7. cheryl
    October 31, 2011 at 11:02 am (3 years ago)

your spider is just as cute!! truth be told i had to shorten kitty to get her to fit on my pumpkin too. Happy Halloween!

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 4:40 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks :] I thought I bought a tall enough pumpkin but guess not. There’s always next year!

8. Emily
    October 31, 2011 at 11:31 am (3 years ago)

Ok, that cookie bark looks incredible! I bet that would be a fun way to use up randomly leftover candy!

P.S. Love your blog! Just found it, thanks to 20SB!

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 4:42 pm (3 years ago)

Ooh, yeah.. that would be a good idea! You could put pretty much anything in it and it’d turn out well.

Thank you! I’m off to check out your blog right this second :]

9. Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense
    October 31, 2011 at 12:54 pm (3 years ago)

This all looks fantastic… I’ve got to try black bean guacamole!!
    Happy Halloween!!

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 4:40 pm (3 years ago)

It is delicious! You’ll love it. Happy Halloween to you too!

10. Lindsey
    October 31, 2011 at 2:18 pm (3 years ago)

I hope you had fun at the 5k! It was hilarious watching everyone run past the shop. So many great costumes! I’m going to have to make that halloween bark next year. Looks so yummy!!

• Anastasia
      October 31, 2011 at 4:41 pm (3 years ago)

It was a lot of fun! There were some really hilarious costumes there. Did you see the guy that made a huge table and on it was his head on a plate? It was so funny watching him run from zombies with that thing.

11. Ashley F.
    November 3, 2011 at 10:16 am (3 years ago)

A zombie run! That sounds amazing! I think I would prob get set a PR for my 5k time :)

• Anastasia
      November 4, 2011 at 8:21 am (3 years ago)

Haha! Yeah, I have never ran that fast in my life! Unfortunately, it wasn’t a time race so I’m not sure how I did.

12. Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    November 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm (3 years ago)

Caught on fire?!?! Oh my gosh! Haha! Yeah, maybe improvising isn’t for you…at least not without a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit! ;)

Love the Halloween bark…and I don’t even like candy corn! But it’s so cute and festive!

• Anastasia
      November 10, 2011 at 8:02 pm (3 years ago)

Luckily I have both. My husband insisted on it as he knows how bad my kitchen disasters can get! haha

I don’t like candy corn either. I picked it off the pieces I ate. It doesn’t taste like anything!