Timesaver: Homemade Pizza Crust

I get a craving for pizza pretty often and it’s always at that point where I’m already hungry. It’s no fun waiting on dough to rise when you’re super hungry and don’t feel like going to the store to buy premade crust. To save a little time just choose your favorite pizza crust recipe (I’m loving this one from There She Goes—it smells incredible!), roll out some mini crusts, and then freeze. With that recipe I am able to get five rather large pieces and it works out to 267 calories each.

I just stack the crusts on top of each other with a layer or saran wrap between and then place them in the freezer. If you know you’re going to want pizza later you can grab one and put it in the fridge to thaw out so it’s ready to use whenever you’re ready. I’ve taken one straight from the freezer to the oven and it turned out fine.

When I pull it out of the fridge or freezer I let the crust bake alone on 350° for about 5-7 minutes and then add sauce and toppings. It then goes back into the oven for around 10-15 minutes.

I make a simple sauce out of tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, salt, and oregano. Some of my favorite toppings are eggplant, asparagus, bell pepper, tomatoes, and artichokes. I also use pita bread as a crust whenever I’m in a pinch and it always turns out really well.

22 Comments on Timesaver: Homemade Pizza Crust

1. Kim
    November 8, 2011 at 3:20 pm (3 years ago)

I always use pita as crust too in a hurry, but lately I can’t find a brand with a whole wheat option, which I’d prefer. This looks good too!

• Anastasia
      November 9, 2011 at 5:40 pm (3 years ago)

Tofuyan is a good brand with a whole wheat option and you can get ‘em at the regular grocery store in the bakery section usually. Also, Ezekiel pita bread is really good!

2. Brittany @ Pretty Fit, Pretty Healthy, Pretty Happy
    November 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm (3 years ago)

I love this pizza dough recipe! Sometimes when I feel extra lazy and can’t even bring myself to use store-bought dough, I use tortillas or sandwich thins as the crust. It’s still pretty tasty. :)

• Anastasia
      November 9, 2011 at 5:41 pm (3 years ago)

Ooh, yes.. tortillas are a good idea! I’ve never tried sandwich thins but I know that’d be great too since I’ve used english muffins before.

3. Lea
    November 8, 2011 at 6:59 pm (3 years ago)

YUM!! This looks really easy and tasty!! I love homemade pizza!

• Anastasia
      November 9, 2011 at 5:41 pm (3 years ago)

Isn’t it the best? I just love pizza in general haha

4. Priyanka
    November 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm (3 years ago)

I love this idea, great tip for a busy weeknight!

• Anastasia
      November 9, 2011 at 5:42 pm (3 years ago)

Yes! It’s nice too because if there’s two of you and you have different tastes you can choose your own toppings. No more fighting when ordering pizza haha

• Anastasia
      November 9, 2011 at 5:42 pm (3 years ago)

Yes, you have to try it! The dough smells so amazing when it’s rising. The whole house smells like a bakery.

5. Liz @ iheartvegetables
    November 8, 2011 at 10:43 pm (3 years ago)

I always just use TJ’s crust, but this makes me think I could tackle my own! I don’t know why I’m always so intimidated by it!

• Anastasia
      November 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm (3 years ago)

I have no TJ’s to turn to :[ There’s talks of one opening here and I’m so excited! This recipe is really, really easy.. you could totally do it. It takes no time too.

6. Errign
    November 10, 2011 at 8:23 am (3 years ago)

Great idea to totally prep them! I usually just freeze dough in balls and then thaw & roll.

• Anastasia
      November 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm (3 years ago)

I’m too impatient for that since I wait until I’m super hungry to start making dinner and this cuts out a lot of waiting time.

7. jenna k
    November 11, 2011 at 1:37 am (3 years ago)

thanks for sharing this! i always wonder how to freeze different things, especially doughs, but am never quite sure how. i’ll definitely have to do this!

• Anastasia
      November 13, 2011 at 8:41 am (3 years ago)

I knew that I was going to use these up quickly so I just decided to use saran wrap. I’m not sure what I would have done with them if I knew they were going to be frozen for a longer time. Maybe the large ziploc bags would be good?

8. Aley
    November 14, 2011 at 2:16 am (3 years ago)

This looks so good. Yum. I also love your blog title it’s cute : )

• Anastasia
      November 16, 2011 at 8:01 am (3 years ago)

Thank you! :]

9. Raquelita
    November 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm (3 years ago)

I love to make my own pizza crust dough in my breadmaker. I usually make a double batch and freeze half. I had never thought of rolling it out before freezing it, though. Genius!

• Anastasia
      November 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm (3 years ago)

Ooh.. that’s a good idea! I’ve never thought about making it in a breadmaker before. I’m definitely doubling the recipe next time :]

10. Sarah
    November 28, 2011 at 11:40 am (3 years ago)

Great idea! This looks so easy and yummy, I must try it.

Just discovered your blog by the way, and I’m loving it, I have a lot of simular goals in my life that I’m blogging about too!

• Anastasia
      November 30, 2011 at 4:25 pm (3 years ago)

It was super yummy and easy!

I can’t wait to check out your blog! Having a blog really helps with goals and motivation for sure.